Following the article on You became happier by one step #DailyLifeDharma these are some of the guidelines that we have put in place for our own mental well-being:
- No alcohol during the week (Sunday through Thursday) only weekends (Friday and Saturday). While this might help relieve the stress of work, this is not sustainable and becomes damaging to our health.
- Meditate every evening for at least 30 minutes. This will help to get our mind out of the office and unwind into the evening, and hopefully improving our sleep during the night.
- Get to bed to ensure that we have 15-20 minutes to prepare for sleep and we get 7 hours of sleep. We can get by on 6 hours of sleep but we do not feel as refreshed as with 7 hours. The 15-20 minutes to prepare for sleep is spent reading a book without the glowing screen of a mobile device.
- No work during the weekends. This becomes a distraction during our “downtime” when we need rest and relaxation. Also, if we are working over the weekend we lose our motivation during the working week.
- Exercise at least 3 times per week, even if it is just jogging for 40 minutes. Exercise helps us to get out of our minds and back into our bodies – getting our minds off our problems and becoming more centered in our bodies.
May you be happy, from @happyops