We are starting a new Dharma discussion group.
Reasons To Begin A Dharma Discussion Group
There are many reasons to begin a Dharma discussion group.
- The first is that the discussion can be an avenue for new people to explore Buddhism in a friendly, informal environment.
- The second is that it is a way for mature students to go through the process of unpacking a text.
- The third is that it creates a friendly, community environment for Dharma students to come together.
The selection of the Dharma discussion group is particularly important. Of course, it is important to select a text written by a reputable author. For example, texts by HH Dalai Lama, Geshe Tashi Tsering, Tenzin Palmo, and Thubten Chodron provide a wonderful range of texts.
It is important to avoid presentations by more contrversial teachers or Buddhist organizations. For further details, please refer to:
- Check For Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself, Buddhist Controversy
- Check For Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself, Lessons from Buddhist Controversy
The selection of the book should depend upon the audience. If students already familiar with Buddhism are expected to attend, then the book could be more dense or cover a more advanced subject matter. If students are new to Buddhism, then it is important to select a more accessible presentation on a less advanced subject matter.
Next week we will continue on starting a new Dharma discussion group.