In ‘Ornament for the Mahayana Sutras’, Maitreya describes 10 defining qualities of the teacher to be relied upon. It is best to have all 10 qualities but at a minimum the
The minimum 5 qualities of a Dharma teacher are:
- Loving concern: Teaching with the motivation of love and compassion.
- Knowledge of reality: Knowledge of the selflessness of phenomena.
- Ethical discipline: Will be discussed in the next few articles.
- Concentration: Having trained in meditative concentration.
- Wisdom: Having trained in the knowledge of reality.
Our guru should possess these 5 qualities as a minimum. For further information please see pp.70-75: